Saturday, April 11, 2009

Why I Love Finishing Files!

So, I posted a couple layouts yesterday and realized it was silly to have them in two places, so I'm going to post the complete layout here and link back to my CTMH gallery for the detail shots. That seems to make more sense. This layout uses the Unforgettable paper pack and is a direct scraplift from page 21 of the Spring 2009 Idea Book. I love how quickly the layouts come together using Cherish and scraplifting the embellishments!



So, while I was working on this LO, I was reminded about how much I love our finishing files! When I work with Dimensional Elements, I usually ink them with a sponge dauber or use the back of a large stamp. I like to add stamped images to the top to add even more dimension. I find that this is the quickest way to work with DE. Yet, there are times when I really want to take it to the next level and I cover the DE with B&T or preprinted patterns. The finishing files make a huge difference when covering them with B&T! Here are some photos from the layout above.


The first step is to glue the top of the DE to the back of the B&T. I use a strong adhesive like CTMH Bonding Memories or Aleene's Tacky Glue. Anything that will glue the edges. Regular tape runner adhesive is not good for this. I let it dry over night to be on the safe side.

When you cut out the pieces, don't worry about getting too close to the edge...that's where the finishing files come into play! Simply run the finishing files along the edges of each DE and the paper will come off. The files have different shapes to allow you to get into tight spots. I use the flat and rounded edge of the largest file the most.

When you are done, this is what they look like. Now you can embellish to your hearts content. I inked the edges for my final layout, but sometimes I like to leave the white edge of the paper and DE showing through. The DE are easy to poke holes in for placing brads or setting eyelets. I also like to add a bit of bling to my DE using buttons, sparkles, Liquid Glass, and glitter.

About This Blog

For the past few years, I have been striving to add more creativity to my life through scrapbooking, acting, web design, and writing. This blog allows me to document my ongoing journey. I'm also a Close To My Heart consultant, so I will share specials and post new product ideas. Watch out for a contest or two, as well!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP